Ten week summer STEM program for K-5 children with a curriculum designed and taught by Columbia University‐affiliated faculty and students (from Teachers College and School of Engineering and Applied Sciences). Weekly sessions follow themes such as biomedical engineering, structural design, and green energy. Each theme will be explored through different lenses of science. Each session will involve hands‐on experiments and will be “maker” focused. Children will leave HYPOTHEkids summer program with:
- A love of science,
- The feeling that they can do science and science is for them whether they are a girl or a boy,
- The ability to think like a scientist, form a hypothesis, gather and sort data and form a conclusion,
- A budding entrepreneurial spirit, as they make things and think about design and production.
- A keepsake NYC-designed and made lab coat by our friends at fashion-tech company Thunderlily along with the badge associated with the week of camp they attend. Attend more weeks and earn more badges!
What You Don’t See is All Around You.
Hk Scientists will dabble in chemistry making their own pH test paper and testing acids and bases found in our kitchen. In addition, we will be exploring reactions, making mixtures, investigating phases of matter, and getting messy with polymers.
Biology Meets Technology.
In this exciting week we will investigate living organisms and their environments. In addition, we will look at and extract DNA from cells. We will examine and grow bacteria and discover properties that classify things as living or non-living.
Listen, Sniff, Feel, Taste, & Look to Discover the Science Around Us.
Hk Scientists will create different instruments to understand how sound is created. They will get messy by feeling their ways through different types of polymers. Further, will enjoy tasting their experiments and being tricked by their minds eye through optical illusions.
Exploring the Forces that Move Us Here on Earth and Beyond.
Hk scientists will participate in projects that are based on Newton’s Laws, air and space exploration, magnetism, and get wet having fun with buoyancy.
Powered by Nature: Investigating and building with the power of solar, water, wind, and recycled materials.
Students will build solar ovens and work with solar cells, create tools to measure the wind and harness it for power, move with water, and turn ones’ trash into scientific treasure.
Behind the Screens Tour of the Technologies That Solve Problems and Create Solutions.
We will be learning all about robots this week and making our own mechanical objects come to life. We will study the physics of movement and the power of electronics while exploring the wondrous possibilities of artificial intelligence.
Exploring and Creating the Science, Technology, Engineering, Art+Design and Math of NYC.
We will look at structural design unique to NYC including water towers, skyscrapers, landscapes like Central Park, the different bridges that cross our rivers and bays and subways and buses that get us here and there. With our hard hats and thinking caps on, we will design and build structures that we see around the city using items such as spaghetti, marshmallows, craft sticks, and much more. In addition, we will discover the secrets of the city exploring the ecology that makes our city great.
Discovering the Inventor Within.
Exploring the past to move the future! Kids will think, design, and prototype solutions for world problems. Some projects we will be making include robotics, circuit building, and 3-D printing.
Look how much fun our young scientists had this past summer.
- Refund will be issued in the same manner payment was made.
- Cancellations made 30+ days before your camp week will receive 75% refund.
- Cancellation made 15-29 days prior to camp week will receive 50% refund.
- Cancellations 14 or fewer days prior to camp week will not receive a refund.
- Cancellation requests due to illness or accident prior to the camp session start date require a physician’s written verification. Upon receipt of verification, we will issue a full refund.
- All cancellation notices must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor a Student!
We have many scholarship requests from promising students in need. Sponsor a student and get unique, one-of-a-kind gifts from HYPOTHEkids, including:
- custom-designed Hk badges,
- a beautiful machined stainless steel pen,
- windproof Blunt umbrellas with Harlem Biospace logo,
- a unique seasonal clock designed by an NYC artist,
- and a bronze or patina bust of Nikolas Tesla made by a Brooklyn sculptor.