Ten week summer STEM program for K-6 children with a curriculum designed and taught by Columbia University‐affiliated faculty and students (from Teachers College and School of Engineering and Applied Sciences). Weekly sessions follow themes such as biomedical engineering, structural design, and green energy. Each theme will be explored through different lenses of science. Each session will involve hands‐on experiments and will be “maker” focused. Children will leave HYPOTHEkids summer program with:
- A love of science,
- The feeling that they can do science and science is for them whether they are a girl or a boy,
- The ability to think like a scientist, form a hypothesis, gather and sort data and form a conclusion,
- A budding entrepreneurial spirit, as they make things and think about design and production.
- A keepsake NYC-designed and made lab coat by our friends at fashion-tech company Thunderlily along with the badge associated with the week of camp they attend. Attend more weeks and earn more badges!
- Location: Close to Columbia University and subway trains to 125th Street. Newly renovated Morningside Park Playground 123 is where we eat lunch and do outdoor science
- Time: 8.30 AM – 5.30 PM
- Ages: Kindergarten to Grade 6. Children are grouped by age and skill level.
- Instructors: Scientist, engineers and educators from Columbia University’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Teachers College plus interactive sessions led by guest science luminaries
- Cost: $695 per week all inclusive. 10% sibling discount. Book two or more weeks and get 10% off the second, third, fourth week.
- Financial aid will be available for families that can demonstrate need. Scholarship applications are available here.
- Special early bird multi-week price: book 4 weeks or more at $595 per week.
Exploring and creating the Science, Technology, Engineering, Art+Design and Math of NYC. We will look at structural design unique to NYC including water towers, skyscrapers, landscapes like Central Park, the different bridges that cross our rivers and bays and subways and buses that get us here and there. With our hard hats and thinking caps on, we will design and build structures that we see around the city using items such as spaghetti, marshmallows, craft sticks, and much more. In addition, we will discover the secrets of the city exploring the ecology that makes our city great.
Behind the screens tour of the technologies that solve problems and create solutions. We will be learning all about robots this week and making our own mechanical objects come to life. We will study the physics of movement and the power of electronics. Students will learn to code and 3-D print their creations.
In this exciting week, Hk scientists will use Newton’s laws to understand flight! Scientists will explore the different models of airplanes and rockets and even have a chance to visit a real space shuttle at the Intrepid Museum! Hk Scientists will learn about space stations and participate in multiple design challenges creating their own rockets!
Hk scientists will learn about our solar system, gravity, and magnetism using the scientific design process. Scientists will create various space landers to attempt a landing on different space surfaces, and further discover the process of space explorations! Children will begin to unlock the mysteries out of this world and take a trip to the stars at the Museum of Natural History!
In this exciting week we will investigate living organisms and their environments. In addition, we will look at and extract DNA from cells. We will examine and grow bacteria and discover properties that classify things as living or non-living.
Hk scientists will explore a variety of animals that inhabit our planet! Scientists will learn about various ecosystems, habitats, and species. Each group will have several species of animals to further investigate and observe animal behaviors. Scientists will discover the secrets of the animal kingdom further through a trip to the zoo!
Starting from the outside and working under the many layers, Hk scientists will discover how each part of the body works together for us to be alive through investigating different body systems with fun activities.
What you don’t see is all around you. Hk Scientists will dabble in chemistry making their own pH test paper and testing acids and bases found in our kitchen. In addition, we will be exploring reactions, making mixtures, investigating phases of matter, and getting messy with polymers.
Discovering the inventor inside every kid. Exploring the past to move the future! Kids will think, design, and prototype solutions for different problems. Some projects we will be making include robotics, circuit building, and 3-D printing.
Investigating and building with the power of solar, water, wind, and recycled materials. Students will build solar ovens and work with solar cells, create tools to measure the wind and harness it for power, move with water, and turn ones’ trash into scientific treasure.
We are a registered 501(c)(3) charity. Last summer, we had many scholarship requests from promising students. Sponsor a student and get a unique, one-of-a-kind gift from HYPOTHEkids and tax receipt.
Look how much fun our young scientists had this past summer!